St John's offers students some of the best facilities and experiences in Oxford.
Hi! I’m Ankit, a second year English student and the JCR Access officer. Below you’ll find information about the community in St John’s, specific benefits of the college and views directly from current students.
Why St John's?
Friendly, inclusive, down-to-earth community.
- Committed to accessibility and diversity.
- Delicious, well-priced meals in hall around: £2 breakfast, £2.50 lunch, £3.50 dinner.
- Cheapest formal hall in the University, providing a 3-course meal for £4.
- Kendrew cafe serves food between 10am and 3pm from Monday to Saturday and is an open workspace 24/7.
- College accommodation provided for entire undergraduate degree with rent at an average of £954 per term.
- All college rooms have fridges and access to communal toilets and showers, and nearly all have sinks. Some rooms have en-suite bathrooms and a kitchen is never too far away.
- Two gyms, a rowing room, a table tennis room and a squash court.
- Frequent free food events held by the JCR including teas, lunches and a termly wine and cheese evening.
- Four BOPs a term which are parties organised by and held in college with students getting to DJ.
- Fancy guest dinners happen twice a term which is a great change to bring friends from home/outside St John’s.
- Fantastic college bar with cheap drinks, open mic nights and quizzes.
- A welcoming common room, a TV room with an Xbox and a games room with pool, darts and table football.
- A brand new 24/7 library and a separate law library (also 24 hours but only open to law students).
- £350 Academic Grant for use on books or materials of an academic nature.
- Hardship Grants are available to help students through unforeseen circumstances.
- Special Grants which help towards travel costs for purposes of an academic nature – but this doesn’t have to be directly related to your course.
- £250 Blues Squad Grant awarded for representing an official university team.
And the food...
At John’s, you can get food in many forms. We have 3 meals a day in Hall, lunch in Kendrew Café from Monday – Saturday, and a considerable numbers of surrounding food places. Check out our recommendations below!
Breakfast (£1 – £3) 8am – 9am (Mon – Sat) & 9am – 9.40am (Sundays)
At breakfast, the exact price depends on your choices of food items and how much you have. Both evening meals are a flat rate, but note that prices do change from year to year.
Lunch (£2 .85): 12.30pm – 1.30pm (Daily)
At lunch the exact price depends on your choices of food items and how much you have. Both evening meals are a flat rate, but note that prices do change from year to year.
Dinner (£4.64): 6.15pm – 6.45pm (Daily) (6.30pm-7.30pm Mon/Wed)
You can book for informal hall, which is recommended to ensure hall can give you a meal, but if you arrive at hall between 6:05pm and 6:10pm on the day (except in vacations) it is normally possible to eat without booking on first. The booking system can only be accessed when connected to the university internet provider or via VPN.
Formal Hall (£4.98): 7.15pm (Sun/Tue/Thu/Fri)
Using your bod card you must book for formal hall dinner by 11:00am on the day.
Kendrew Quad has a cafeteria, where hot healthy-meals, and snacks, can be purchased from 12am-2pm Mon-Fri and Brunch at 11am-3pm on Saturdays during term time. The seating area is open to Junior Members from 8am-10pm and there is access to a coin operated coffee machine. Opening times may be subject to change.
There will be an email circulated by the Catering Manager each week with the dinner menus and at the start of term a list of dates where hall will not be served due to special dinners or college events.
There’s no shortage of places to buy food around John’s.
Best for supermarkets – Tesco
Two minutes away from College, and has two floors! Located here.
Best for a cheap lunch – Najar’s
Situated right outside College, Najar’s often runs discounts on its falafel wraps, milkshapes, sandwiches and more, and the St John’s Discount Scheme has an exclusive morning discount too.
Best for eating out – Buongiorno and Buonasera, Gloucester Green
George Street and Gloucester Green are just 5 minutes away from College, and have a number of restaurants with student discounts. One highlight is Buongiorno, which does an SJC Discounts Scheme-exclusive discount on great takeaway pizza. Located here.
Gloucester Green is less than 5 minutes walk away from College, and have a number of restaurants to chose from. A particular favourite is Buongiorno a Buonasera. John’s students get a 30% discount on takeaway pizza, accompanying their generous eat-in discounts! Located here.
Best for vegetarian/vegan – Gardener’s Arms
A well-priced pub with great vegetarian food! Located here.
Best for late nights – Soloman’s
Soloman’s is open from 8pm – 4am, so if you find yourself hungry late at night, you’ll be covered. Located just across the street from John’s.